1/3/97 - I was calling around to several junk yards to try and find some of the pieces that were rusted out, I found what the owner thought was a couple of '63s in Moorhead (the sister city of Fargo) and went to check it out. It was December by this time and the "car" that the owner of the junkyard pointed to was a 4 foot snowdrift! After scraping for 10 minutes, I found that car was indeed a 4-door, it was a Cruiser! The color was Rose Mist, and the chrome looked great! Heck, even the typical fender rust was miniscule. The junkyard was asking $100.00 or it was going to the crusher in the spring. Considering it's condition, I couldn't pass up another Studebaker! Of course my friend Steve thought I was nuts, but we rented a trailer and towed it home. It was without it's 289 engine, but I planned on using the 259 from the 4-door. It was missing the power steering pump, rear end and transmission. O.K. because I could get those from the 4-door. I got rid of the body from the 4-door. A good thing, too. It took one cut with the air chisel to render the car asunder. I had purchased 4 fenders, 4 doors, a hood, a trunk, and a few other things from member Pete Peterson of Jamestown. I had primed them and they went on the car very simply.
1/10/97 - Pans arrive. Wait for 2 days to install due to blizzard (they tend to happen a lot in ND!). In the meantime, take alternator & starter to Berg auto to have them checked out. The starter was o.k., but needed new bushings (a total repair of $11.00, and they had them in stock!). The alternator, on the other hand, was shot. They didn't have any listing for Studebakers, so I had to get on the phone & shop around. Luckily another local vendor had one at the warehouse, $100.00 please. (I'll come back for it later). Cleaned up the alternator's pulley, starter casing, oil pan, tranny dip stick, & motor mounts. Painted them black. I also got the valve covers and was looking around the shop for a spray can of yellow paint when I ran across a couple of cans of John Deere yellow. I tried a test spray on a corner of the valve cover and it was almost and exact match. After cleaning them up, they looked slick! I also sprayed the tranny dipstick.
If you have comments or suggestions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
This page created with Netscape Navigator Gold